Thursday, May 28, 2009

Learning to Art Journal

I'm so excited! Dianne, a friend from my AGO (Art Gang Ohio)  showed a group of us how she works in her art journal. I had been thinking about trying it, but was a little nervous at first. I know a lot of people worry that their handwriting isn't good enough to use in an art journal - of course I compare myself to all the artists that I admire and think I'm not as good as they are, but we all have to start somewhere - right? Well, it turned out better than I thought, so I'm posting it for all to see and hope that I'll be inspired to get started in one of the MANY blank journals I have sitting around, just waiting to be used. Thanks so much for inspiring me Dianne!

Dawn's journal page  We worked on 140 lb watercolor paper and started with a watercolor wash to get rid of the scary white space.
I pasted a few images images I had collected, and colored a bit with my Lyra watercolor crayons, then blended.
The stenciled circles in the top right was done with one of Michael Meador's stencils. I wrote with my favorite black pen - a Pentel EnerGel, it's a .5 mm needle tip and gives a nice smooth line (I found my pen at Staples). Check out Dianne's art journal pages on her blog - linked under Artist's that I Admire as Art Beneath the Cottonwoods. You'll see why she's an artist I admire.


3 comments:

  1. So glad you shared this on your blog! and thank you for your kind words about my work...it means a lot coming from a talented artist and designer like you! and your handwriting turned out great! hope you will keep journaling...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sigh. I just looooooove your page here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your kind words! It's so nice to know that my blog is still inspiring others, even though I'm so bad about posting! You've inspired me to get something posted again:) Stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete